February 14th can be just as horrifying as Friday the 13th (if you’re into that sort of superstitious thing) for some. I mean who came up with Valentine’s Day anyway?
Well, my hopeless romantic friends, the Romans did. So you should thank them although it wasn’t exactly a day of sweet candy and roses either. It was actually a lot grimmer. The day before, during, and after Valentine’s Day was celebrated with Roman men whipping women with the hides of the animals that they’d caught and eaten earlier that day (wowzers). The women didn’t mind at all because they believed this would make them more fertile. I’m guessing motherhood was pretty serious…
Nevertheless, I’m not here to discuss the history of Valentine’s Day but rather, provide some insight on what I do as a bachelorette this time of year. You may think that this holiday would bring about the attitude of a single, miserable, shrew but luckily I enjoy my own company even on the most couple focused day of the year.
Here are 10 fun activities to dive into as a bachelor (or bachelorette) on Valentine’s Day:
1. See a Movie Alone
- Accompanying yourself to the movie theater is pretty therapeutic. There is suddenly more time on your hands and room in your mind to meditate on the things that you want in life and/or a potential partnership. But don’t let that be the focus of your experience. You don’t want to squander “your day” on thoughts about a relationship. Besides, only having to worry about the kind of candy and size of popcorn that you want is my kind of fun.
2. Spend Time with Loved Ones
- My family is the center of my being. I cherish time spent with them whenever I can. I am a full-time student who now resides in another state, so any quality time that I can spend with them is always worth it. It just makes you feel good to know that so many people love and care for you exactly as you are.
3. Puff the Magic Dragon
- I participate in this activity every day already so it wouldn’t be significant enough to stand out. Still, put one in the air.
4. Take Yourself Out to Eat
- Your favorite restaurant is calling your name. Don’t you hear it? What are you waiting for?! Go get dressed!
5. Go Skating!
- This is self explanatory.
6. Netflix and Chill…Alone
- This is one of my favorite things to do regularly anyway. Step one, make your favorite snacks, step two, make sure you have an active Netflix (or Hulu whatever floats your boat) account, step three, turn off all of the lights so that you are utterly terrified, and settle into a cozy, warm blanket 🙂
7. Watch Funny Videos on YouTube
- Some of my favorite YouTubers are the people that perk up my mood whenever I feel like shit due to an unfortunate day (or person). Watch some hilarious videos online and allow your laughter to fill the room.
8. Buy Your Favorite Candy (And Flowers?)
- Hershey’s? Ferrero Rocher? Ghirardelli? Need I say more? Also, take time to smell the flowers while you’re still alive.
9. Go Bowling
- Much like seeing a movie alone, bowling is a group activity that could actually be more fun if done by yourself. You have time to meditate and practice your skills without the embarrassment of losing a game to opponents.
10. Write Out Your Feelings/Journal
- This is one of my favorite things to do when I’m in a state of reflection, preferably at the end of the day. Just let it all hang out. Write about how you feel, talk about your loneliness (or happiness in being alone), write about the exciting new things that you learned, the interesting people that you met, new ideas for a project that you’ve been putting off; it’s your call. Create this space and time for expression.
Valentine’s Day may be a “couple holiday,” but that doesn’t mean that you can’t cater to yourself. Don’t count on someone else to make February 14th the best day ever.
Show yourself some L-O-V-E.